VALE – All minors safe and accounted for
Vale has confirmed at 39 employees underground at its Totten Mine in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada have now safely returned to the surface. The employees had been underground since reporting for dayshift Sunday. Employees exited the mine with support from Vale’s mine rescue team through a secondary egress ladder system. VALE says an investigation will be launched into what happened so that the company can learn from it and take steps to ensure it never happens again.
Watch your speed, watch for the bus say Police
North Bay Police are reminding drivers to stop for the bus and watch their speed. North Bay police laid 72 traffic charges in its two-week back-to-school safety initiative, which ran from Sept. 7 – 17th. Charges laid include 65 counts of speeding, three incidents of disobey school bus stop arm, and the rest for a number of other infractions.
Construction continues on Algonquin Blvd. in Timmins
Timmins drivers are being thanked for their patience, as construction on Algonquin Blvd. continues between Thériault Blvd. and the river. The City’s public works manager Ken Krcel says curbs and sidewalks have been installed… and paving starts this week on the west end of the connecting link project.
Fewer meetings coming for SSM city council
Sault Ste Maire Sault City Council will reduce its workload in 2022. They’ve favor of meeting every third week starting in January. Right now, they meet every second week, with the exception of the summer months, which amounts to approximately 23 meetings a year.
Training goes ahead for North Bay first responders at rail tracks
North Bay first responders took part in a simulated hazardous material release yesterday, involving rail cars in the Ottawa Valley Railway yard. It happened off Oak Street in the city’s downtown. The training allowed emergency services, along with municipal and government agencies, to assess and adjust the response and intervention plans.
Charges laid in an illegal gathering
Sault Ste. Marie Police has charged a resident with organizing an illegal gathering. It happened earlier this year (in May) with charges laid only this week. It happened in the area of Hughes Street. A conviction for organizing an illegal gathering could result in a minimum fine of $10,000.
